Portraiture is an extremely powerful tool of self discovery. That is the greatest surprise of my photography career. For years I have been helping people – artists and professionals, men and women, lawyers and housewives – empower themselves through the process of portraiture. There is something reached, something confronting, something born or remembered when a person and a photographer can coalesce into an honest creative energy.
In a session such as this, there is not work or effort, just communication and discovery. A process that continues after you receive the images – a private collection for you to share or keep for your own.
We lose track of ourselves once in a while. As artists, as lovers, as professionals, as people. Our work together will be a righting of the ship – a course correction, not an analysis. No matter your profession, your gender, your nationality, your size – the benefit of this process is the simultaneous revelation and growth. Your reaction to the shooting process will be one journey, seeing the photos will be another. I’ll take you through it all with the confidence of knowing how beautiful the result can be for your life.
“These photos capture a part of me that I could visualize, but never feel. Nick was able to coax a vulnerability and a sexiness I reserve only for a partner or a lover…I used to avoid mirrors so I only had the feeling and never an image of myself. Imagine that. At my age (45) finally seeing what I look like turned on, flaws and all.
As a woman of size, particularly one that lives in a city that values a certain kind of mainstream beauty and sexuality, I had never outwardly experienced myself as unequivocally desirable. I wanted photos that showed me the outward manifestation of what I felt inside. I don’t say this out of hubris, but out of an acceptance for a part of my womanhood that I worked very hard to achieve.
…it was less about showing my body than letting my past dictate how sexy/vulnerable/sassy I would let myself get. I wanted to challenge the message of unworthiness that still skulked around the corners of my self-esteem. I think it’s a basic human desire to want to be appreciated for the beauty we naturally inherit. That needs to happen first within, and then after that, it’s fun to have that appreciated by others.
[Nick] created a safe space for me to let go and inhabit that sexual part of myself. I felt like he wanted to see me get to the ‘good place’ as well. Without that, I don’t think I would’ve gotten such veracious photos.
…the best part of having a shoot like this. It was a litmus test which demonstrated to me, in real-time, how much of what I proselytize I actually put into practice…I think this kind of ownership of one’s body and sensuality is not only our right, but part of being a fully integrated human being.”
“I expected it would feel a little awkward at first (it did), and then, because I was blessed with an incredibly talented photographer who totally put me at my ease, I was able to open up, not just physically, but emotionally. I came away from the session with more than some amazing smutty photos, but thoughts, impressions, and experiences I will be unpacking for months, if not years, to come.” – Beverly Diehl, author. (source)
“It was a surreal experience, sharing such an intimate, charged few hours with a man who was essentially a stranger. But hundreds of photos later, it was clear that he captured the core of my sexuality, and the woman that I have grown to be.” – Erica Jagger, Huffington Post
I have done this work for years word-of-mouth and am now making it public. The joyous feedback from people I’ve shot with all over the world has been tremendous and I’m grateful for every opportunity.
I’m not a doctor, I’m not a shrink, I’m not a guru – I’m an artist, and I see you. Love yourself anew. Let’s shoot together.
- Sessions take place in my home or yours – though I very much encourage you to join me in my kitchen (where most of the work takes place). You can read about the space here.
- Your privacy and comfort is very important to me – please let me know if you have any questions at all.
- These sessions are captured for black-and-white conversion, delivered digitally via a password protected download within ten days after the shoot.
- Price for the session is $1200 and lasts at least three hours (most go over).
- Fees for work are non-refundable, barring technical issues during capture or post.
- A deposit of $300 is required to complete your reservation (balance due on the day of the shoot). The deposit is not refundable, but may be transferred to a new booking if you re-book no later than 72 hours (three days) before your shoot. Changes or cancellations must be made no later than 72 hours (three days) before your scheduled appointment or your deposit will be forfeited.